Far before “me” time, I enjoy spending meaningful time with my two toddlers, growing Equilibria with our incredible team, and catching up with my husband when we can squeeze in date night. Friends, family, civic boards… there are truly more demands than hours in the day. As women with busy lives and and so much on our plate, often the very last person to receive any nurture is, well, ourselves. (At least this is my truth.)
When Marcy and I started Equilibria last year, part of the motivating factor behind this company was the opportunity to talk about balance in a direct and honest way. Balance is really hard to achieve. But is it impossible? Are the demands of others at odds with our own needs? What’s the right sweet spot? If I take time out for myself, is that indulgent? OR vital?
CBD has helped me as a time-strapped founder with two littles and a marriage I want to nurture feel more grounded and even. My daily routine of 20 mg (two 10 mg softgels) helps me stay level-headed on those days that seem impossible to manage.
If we’re not making time for ourselves, how can we be our best selves for others?
This season at Equilibria, our mantra is Love Yourself, Daily. We want to help you prioritize more time for yourself, every day, even if the routines you’re adopting seem like smaller changes versus a sweeping “New Year, New You” aspiration.
So in the spirit of our new campaign, here are five ways I’m committing to self-love this year:
1./ 8 hours of sleep every night
- For real. Not 7, or 6.5. Not a total of 56 throughout the week. EIGHT. I’ve always been a great sleeper but I can be tempted to cut corners with late nights (usually, ahem ahem, working). In the spirit of self-care, and not de-prioritizing my own needs, I am committing to sleep hygiene and starting my bedtime routine 9 hours before I have to wake up. For me, this means turning off my electronics at least an hour before bedtime, taking my nightly 10mg Equilibria softgel, and then reading a PAPER book to turn my mind off.
2./ 20 minutes of Peloton 5X/ Week (because it’s now inches away from my bedroom so no excuses!!)
- We have a makeshift workout room adjacent to my kids’ playroom in the basement, but I knew that adding another piece of equipment to a room I very rarely visit would do, well, almost nothing. So the new Peloton now lives just outside of my bedroom on our landing, and there are literally no excuses to not climb on for 20 minutes (at least) most days. I’ve been on a great streak lately and it’s an awesome way to clear my head and not give up much time. (OK, so maybe I’m in my pajamas, but who’s telling?!)
3./ A (PAPER) fiction book a month (or, even a quarter… sadly that might be all I can handle)
- I was an English major, but am embarrassed to say how little time I make for reading in my current life stage. Even though I may only get through a page or two at night before crashing, it always brings me comfort to know that I have a paper book on my bedside table. Right now I’m obsessed with Rebecca Mekkai’s The Great Believers and The Hundred Year House.
4./ Daily Gratitudes
- Oat milk vanilla lattes. Brow powder. Travel. Healthy kids. Old friends. From the small stuff to the big, it brings me peace of mind and centeredness to slow down for a minute and express gratitude for the people/ things/ opportunities in life that bring me joy and transcend the daily grind.
5./ Bath time (no, not for toddlers!) Favorite bath rituals:
- OK, let’s face it… not every day has time for a shower, so it definitely doesn’t have time for a bath! But for the few days a week when I can squeeze in a hot soak, nothing melts away stress more effectively. I love simple Epsom salt as well as Equilibria’s Calming Bath Bombs (and stay tuned for more Bath and Body products this season!). Any Diptyque candles enhance the mood perfectly! Add Beauty Counter’s Cleansing Balm and Peter Thomas Roth’s 24K Gold Pure Luxury Lift & Firm HydraGel Eye Patches … and it’s GAME OVER!
I’m so thrilled for all that is to come from Equilibria this season. In the spirit of daily self-care, we’ll try to be your advocates and partners in your mission to carve out time, space, and self-care daily with:
- Helpful, educational emails breaking down the [often complex + overwhelming] topic of CBD, and how to incorporate it into your daily self-care routine for best results
- Inspirational daily routines you can incorporate for greater self-care success including Sleep, Fitness, and Meditation
- NEW Love Yourself, Daily limited edition products launching soon
Remember–it’s not about a New You. It’s about making small changes every – SINGLE day – that don’t require an overwhelming shift.
Here’s to the Same You, but Balanced, in 2020.