CBD for Sex: 5 Ways to Spice Up Your Sex Life
At Equilibria, we understand that women face unique challenges from how we handle stress to how we experience sex. Oftentimes, women’s sex lives can take a backseat to the demands and struggles of everyday life. While a topic that doesn’t always come to mind first when we consider wellness, healthcare professionals suggest engaging in healthy sex could possibly correlate to health benefits, such as lower stress levels, better sleep, improved libido, and aided immune system functions among others. Who doesn’t want to feel less stressed and overall healthier?
According to sex therapist Laurie Watson, females encounter and manifest their sexuality differently than their male counterparts. She shares that females have different sex hormones and their brains are wired to respond to those hormones differently, which means it can take a great deal of effort and time for women to set aside family, work, or self-conscious thoughts to get in the mood. Along with that, women undergo many fluctuations in hormones throughout the stages of their reproductive lifespans, which may contribute to even more diverse sexual experiences from males. Elevated stress levels, reduced blood flow to the genitals, and mood changes are just some of the barriers women face throughout their lives when trying to achieve sexual pleasure.
As of recently, quite a few women are turning to CBD for sex, which can help to crank the heat up in the bedroom. Many of our members are using CBD to support aspects of of menopause, stress, and sleep. Whether you’re in the prime of your fertility or nearing menopause, we’re here to share some tips if you’re interested in using CBD for sex.
CBD for Sex: 5 Ways To Spice Up Your Sex Life
Why Might CBD Help Spice Things Up?
CBD communicates with a biological system in the body referred to as the Endocannabinoid System, or the ECS. The ECS consists of a plethora of cannabinoid receptors found throughout the body, including but not limited to the reproductive organs and brain. The ECS is involved in regulating and influencing several processes in the body including stress response, hormones, mood, and energy levels among other things. Scientists theorize that the endocannabinoid system may play a part in our sexual experiences.
On top of that, when CBD communicates with the ECS, it can interact with a group of structures in the brain linked to behavior, motivation, and emotional responses known as the limbic system. Research indicates the limbic system can affect stress response, hormones, and sexual arousal. So potentially you could feel more relaxed and emotionally present for intimacy.
Since there are cannabinoid receptors in female reproductive organs, CBD can play a role in influencing the circulatory system, which could support more blood flow to the genitals. More blood flow to these areas can heighten response to and enjoyment of physical sensations. Coupling that with enhanced relaxation may intensify responsiveness to physical sensation and help keep your mind concentrated on the task at hand.
Common Road Blocks Women Face
For Those in Pre-Perimenopause:
During the years when women’s bodies are most fertile, they experience many of the symptoms listed below:
- Stress and overwhelm
- Irritability and mood
- Sexual discomfort
For Those Perimenopause and Beyond:
As women are approaching the conclusion of their reproductive years, they experience some overlap with some of the ones listed above, but also
- Decreased arousal
- Vaginal dryness, thinning tissue, and reduced blood flow in genital areas
- Hot flashes
- Sleep disturbances
How Can I Use CBD for Sex?
5 ways to use CBD for sex for women in pre-perimenopause:
- Plan ahead to get your head in the game. Take a dose of Daily Drops, like a ½ dropper (5mg/0.5mg) or 1 full dropper (10mg/1mL), about an hour before your anticipated romp in the hay to help ease your mind and relax your body.
- Melt away tension with a massage. Who doesn’t love a good massage? It’s the perfect excuse to help you relieve some physical tension and help you get in the mood. Have your partner use the Nourishing Body Oil or Daily Treatment Oil and gently knead the oil into your neck, shoulders, and into the scalp with these delightful CBD topicals. ***Keep in mind that we recommend avoiding using these products on intimate areas.
Editor’s Note: Daily Treatment Oil is discontinued. For tips and tricks on how to use our other Equilibria products for skin concerns, reach out to your Dosage Specialist or check out this article.
- Share with your partner. Keep your Daily Drops or Daily Gummies by the bedside table and share your CBD with your partner – they may need some help destressing too. We recommend taking a small dose like a ½ dropper (5mg/0.5mL) or ½ of a Daily Gummy (5mg). If that’s not an option, you can also simply share an intimate experience with your partner. Invite them to soak in a warm bath with our Mindful Mineral Soak and start the foreplay in the bathtub.
- Tantalize and invigorate the senses. Reach for our Energizing Roller or our Calming Roller and glide over your pressure points, behind the ears, and along the collarbone. You can also put your Rollers in the refrigerator for a little while and apply a cold Roller to your partner to tease them.
- Indulge yourself. Nibble on a tasty Daily Gummy after work or in the evening a little while before you’re ready to get the party started. Treat yourself to some fun beforehand to get you in the right mindset.
5 ways to use CBD for sex for women in perimenopause and beyond:
- Ground yourself. In the same way that you might like a cocktail to signal that work time is over and party time has started, take a Daily Gummy ahead of meeting up with your partner. Giving your CBD Gummy a little time to work ahead of date night means you may walk into your evening with a head unfettered by anything but your special someone.
- Be proactive, not reactive. If you’re experiencing sleep challenges, it’s hard to feel super sexy and be ready for action when you’re exhausted. Try adding a slow-releasing Softgel after a meal or snack with a healthy fat, which may be great for helping you stay asleep a little longer or fall back more easily when the unwanted 3AM wake up call beckons.
- Make a Rapid Calming Melt into a rapid cooling melt. RAPID CALMING MELTS ARE YOUR FRIEND. Try using 1 Rapid Calming Melt (5mg) when you’re suddenly feeling hot and sweaty to see if it helps so you can get back to getting it on.
- Get your blood pumping. As we move through perimenopause, blood flow can naturally decrease to our sexual organs. Incorporating a little Daily Drops before foreplay and certainly pre-coitus may make for a more pleasurable and less physically uncomfortable experience.
- Commit to yourself. Perimenopause and menopause can be difficult physically, but also mentally and emotionally. Try taking one night a week to celebrate and restore your body. Grab your favorite EQ form factor like a Gummy, Drops, or RCM and pair that with a warm bath using the Mindful Mineral Soak to get you back in touch with your body. Follow up with our Nourishing Body Oil.
Pro Tips For Using CBD for Sex
- It’s tough with menopause because unanticipated shifts in your mood can throw a wrench in your plans. If you notice the quick tick to the dark side, try a Rapid Calming Melt or a ½ dropper (5mg/0.5mL) to 1 full dropper (10mg/1mL) of Daily Drops to turn the ship around and get back on course for intimacy. Or try adding a Daily Gummy into your afternoon or early evening.
- Dark chocolate is a great healthy fat to take with your Softgel and can be thought of as your “mint on your pillow” at bedtime.
- Try using a Rapid Calming Melt if you do wake up and cannot return easily to bed.
- Use your Calming Roller at the jaw and temples if waking to help you ease back into slumber.
- If you need a quick cool down, add Relief Balm to bottoms of feet at bedtime and massage a small amount of the Relief Balm on the back of your neck- where the menthol can help feel less aflame.
While more research is needed to understand the role of CBD and sexual health, preclinical data and feedback from CBD users indicate individuals who incorporate CBD in the bedroom believe it is a helpful tool to increase satisfaction and intimacy during sex. As with all things related to your body and sexual health, using CBD is a personal choice. If you have more questions about your CBD routine and how this might be helpful for you, connecting with a Dosage Specialist is a great place to deep dive into how CBD might help you! To chat with a Dosage Specialist, reach out to us at email@example.com.
- (outlines limbic system functions)
- https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/married-and-still-doing-it/201708/how-women-really-think-about-sex (variety of factors can keep her distracted such as feeling tired, stress, physical discomfort, and as a result from symptoms from menopause – leading to more effort for arousal )
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6761896/ (parts and role of endocrine system)
- https://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/guide/sex-and-health (potential health benefits from engaging in sex)