What Is CBD? Here’s What You Should Know
It seems like CBD is everywhere you look these days, but do you really know what it is and what it can do? Get the facts on CBD basics and learn what sets Equilibria CBD apart. Then, you can make an informed choice about the CBD you use.
Here are the basics you should know about CBD
What is CBD and where does it come from?
CBD stands for cannabidiol, which is one of more than a hundred naturally occurring compounds called “cannabinoids” found in the Cannabis sativa plant. Cannabis sativa is the plant species that encompasses both the hemp plant and the THC-dominant (or weed) plant. Each are grown for different properties and characteristics.
The difference between hemp and weed is the amount of another cannabinoid: THC. THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the cannabinoid responsible for the psychoactive effects of weed, or the “high” feeling many people experience. CBD is derived from the hemp plant, not the THC-dominant (or weed) plant. In order to be federally legal in the U.S., CBD must contain no more than 0.3% THC. Weed, on the other hand, can be bred to contain up to 30% THC, resulting in the psychoactive effects commonly associated with it.
How is CBD made?
CBD oil is made when the cannabidiol is extracted from the hemp plant. There are multiple ways to extract CBD, and the method used makes a significant difference in the quality of the CBD. Two of the most common extraction methods are:
- Ethanol/solvent extraction: Ethanol is an alcohol used as a solvent to draw out the cannabinoids as well as aromatic compounds, known as terpenes, that are responsible for the flavor and smell of the cannabis plant. Ethanol extraction is inexpensive and is thus widely used, but results in a less-pure extract, often with a bitter taste.
- CO2 extraction: Equilibria’s method of extraction uses carbon dioxide to extract CBD and retain cannabinoids and terpenes. With CO2 extraction, there is no solvent used, so there’s no remaining solvent in the finished product as with ethanol. This process results in a safer, cleaner extract with the plant’s compounds still intact.
How does CBD work?
CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is the system responsible for regulating a vast array of the body’s systems and functions. This includes sleep, immune response, cognitive function, emotional response, and more. The ECS uses cannabinoids that naturally occur within the body to regulate these systems. CBD and other plant-derived cannabinoids can function in much the same way, meaning CBD may support the ECS in a number of wellness-related functions.
What makes Equilibria CBD different?
Not all CBD is created equal, and it’s important to know what’s in your daily dose. Equilibria is committed to quality throughout every stage of the process. This is apparent not only in our exceptional products but in our unparalleled commitment to our members. Here are just a few of the things that set EQ apart:
- All of our CBD products are full-spectrum, containing nine cannabinoids and 21 terpenes. They all work together under the “entourage effect” to bring you powerful and well-balanced results.
- Our CBD is hand-harvested from our 1100-acre partner hemp farm in Colorado. This ensures that your CBD is fully traceable and always consistent.
- Our organic CBD is free from solvents, pesticides, GMOs, heavy metals, and herbicides.
- Equilibria CBD is extracted from hemp flowers only; no stems, seeds, or stalks go into our products.
- With every Equilibria product, we provide independent lab testing results, so that you always know exactly what’s in your daily dose.
Beyond what goes into our products, Equilibria’s focus on quality extends to what we offer our members. If you have any questions about which products to purchase you can schedule a Pre-purchase Consultation here. After purchasing if you have any questions about how to use your products or start a wellness routine schedule a Wellness Coaching Session here.